[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sat May 16 11:24:12 EDT 2015

In article <83ec7e45-2566-4e73-8bf3-feb55bca27b5 at googlegroups.com>, John
Reagan <xyzzy1959 at gmail.com> writes:

> One of my plans is to switch the remaining compilers that use VMSINSTAL (BA=
> SIC and Pascal) over to using PCSI to be consistent with the other compiler=
> s (I don't want to start another discussion on whether PCSI is good/bad/mod=
> ern/etc.). I'll change the defaults and/or just eliminate some of the quest=
> ions.

In general, a good idea.  However, as I already noted, I had a problem
with a PCSI for a hobbyist compiler today.  Just had another one:

Performing product kit validation of signed kits ...
%PCSI-I-CANNOTVAL, cannot validate DSA530:[HELBIG.DOWNLOADS.HOBBYIST.FORTRAN_COMPILER_82]DEC-AXPVMS-CXML-V0502-1-1.PCSI;1
-PCSI-I-NOTSIGNED, product kit is not signed and therefore has no manifest file

%PCSI-E-VALFAILED, validation of DSA530:[HELBIG.DOWNLOADS.HOBBYIST.FORTRAN_COMPI
LER_82]DEC-AXPVMS-FORTRAN-V0802-0-1.PCSI$COMPRESSED;1 failed
-PCSI-E-CDSA_TEXT, CSSMERR_DL_DATASTORE_DOESNOT_EXIST: The specified datastore does not exist
%PCSIUI-E-ABORT, operation terminated due to an unrecoverable error condition

These are from the official hobbyist ZIP archive.

I haven't done much with PCSI since the general hobbyist patch access
was cut off a few years ago, and am not familiar with this signing
stuff.  Fortunately, VMS 8.4 itself and the update patch provided for
the hobbyist download did work.

I know it says "unrecoverable error condition", but is there any way I
can recover from this?

Surely someone else has installed the hobbyist compilers.