[Info-vax] upgrading from VMS 7.3-2 and TCPIP 5.4 ECO 7 to VMS 8.4 and TCPIP 5.7

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun May 17 09:53:23 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-17 13:30:37 +0000, Jan-Erik Soderholm said:

> So the 5.7 install reads the old config and creates
> the new TCPIP$SMTP.CONF file. And yes, SMTP "works" with
> no other (manual) config directly after the upgrade.
> As far as I remember the TCPIP 5.7 just "worked".

If there's no SMTP server configuration file located at the default
location — and this default location can vary — SMTP in V5.7 issues no
diagnostics and commences its default SMTP processing, which includes
defaulting to open relay.

Operating as an open relay is one of the most truly absurd default
settings I've ever encountered for a modern SMTP mail server, too.

Related: <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1844>