[Info-vax] upgrading from VMS 7.3-2 and TCPIP 5.4 ECO 7 to VMS 8.4 and TCPIP 5.7

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 17 14:31:17 EDT 2015

In article <mja6eq$upk$1 at dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman
<seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:

> If there's no SMTP server configuration file located at the default
> location --- and this default location can vary --- SMTP in V5.7 issues no
> diagnostics and commences its default SMTP processing, which includes
> defaulting to open relay.
>
> Operating as an open relay is one of the most truly absurd default
> settings I've ever encountered for a modern SMTP mail server, too.

I agree that it's not a good default.  Mine came up as NORELAY,
presumably because that is what I had before.

In those events---which should be rare---that a change of basic
configuration-file formats or whatever is needed, then I too would
expect that it should just work out of the box, inheriting the old
settings.  I'll have to investigate more.  I had read so much about how
SMTP had changed and that this wasn't documented that I was expecting
the worst.