[Info-vax] startup hangs during TCPIP

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Sun May 17 12:28:03 EDT 2015

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> I have a satellite which I boot every day or two.  A couple of days ago,
> the startup started hanging.  STARTUP.LOG and console output indicate
> that this is always somewhere in the TCPIP startup.  Control-P and
> booting again was successful, though in one of three or four times I had
> to do it twice.
>
> No, I haven't changed anything.  This is still a 7.3-2 node.
>
> Once it boots up, everything is fine.
>
> Something I noticed around the same time, which wasn't present before,
> is that a Smart-Array card (which I have never used) now fails to
> initialize, but I don't see how that could be relevant.
>
> Also, during the startup I mount the system-disk shadow sets on other
> boot nodes.  The first one mounts, the second one doesn't, and no other
> shadow sets after the second system-disk one mount either.  (Of course,
> its own system disk is mounted.)  Strange, but again I don't see how it
> could be related.
>
> All network is on the LAN (100 Mb/s, full duplex) and I don't see any
> other problems with it.
>
> Any ideas?

Move some of the startup to a batch job.  Keep only required things in
the regular startup.  This way, you'll have VMS up and running, and can
look at things.  You'll also have a batch log file to see what happened.

This is from one of my systems.  You'll see that there isn't anything in
here that has to be in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.

$ t sys$manager:systartup_batch.com
$!**********************************************************************
$! This is the site-specific startup command procedures that will be
$! performed in batch.
$!**********************************************************************
$
$ set noverify
$ set noon
$
$
$! Start network jobs
$
$ @SYS$MANAGER:STARTNET.COM
$ @SYS$STARTUP:LAT$STARTUP.COM
$ @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$STARTUP.COM
$
$ @SYS$STARTUP:SYS$NET_SERVICES.COM
$
$
$! Set up for virtual terminals and async DECnet
$
$! @SYS$MANAGER:ASYNCNET.COM
$
$