[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Mon May 18 13:08:39 EDT 2015

On 15-05-18 08:48, hancockrl59 at gmail.com wrote:
> We are trying to eliminate printing/scanning in several areas of our company.
> Does anyone know if there is a way to print directly to pdf via an OpenVMS print queue?

Are files sent to the print queue Postscript ?

If so, you could run the exec symbiont (does it still exist?) which lets
you run a command file to process each job submitted into the queue.
You can then use ghostscript to convert from Postscript to PDF and then
store the file in the appropiate location.

The caveat: normal DCPS print processor can do on-the-fly postscript
generation for text and ANSI files to be sent to postscript printers.
The exec symbiont that feeds files to ghostscript wouldn't have that
capability unless you started to parse the input files and added your
own postscript print prologues (which reads the text and generates
postscript commands to image it).