[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Tue May 19 17:18:35 EDT 2015

This is the last thing keeping me from going to 8.4 on all my nodes.
It's really a pain.  Yes, I have a couple of dozen terminals, several
terminal servers, etc, but I don't want to do without DECwindows.  (I
like displaying PostScript and PDF files on screen, for one thing.)  I
misquoted a correction earlier in the other thread on this topic: it
might be a problem with too low values of some SYSGEN parameters.  My
goal is to get the login box to appear. (Strangely this worked
immediately after the upgrade, but not after the first proper
post-upgrade reboot.  It doesn't look like AUTOGEN before the reboot
made any significant changes.

Can someone running CDE on 8.4 ALPHA recommend some minimum values for
the relevant SYSGEN parameters?  What about minimum quotas for
(presumably) the SYSTEM account?