[Info-vax] Removing the leading $ from commands in a new DCL language

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Wed May 20 04:38:19 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-19, Simon Clubley <clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP>
wrote:
> On 2015-05-08, Paul Sture <nospam at sture.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Moving on to something more recent, IPython has log replay
>> functionality.  See "Session logging and restoring" at
>>
>><http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/interactive/reference.html>
>>
>> Now *that* type of functionality could be very useful in "New DCL",
>> whether it be used for simple regression testing[3] or auditing.
>>

> Yes, that's nice.
>
> It sort of looks like sourcing a file in bash if you had the ability
> to select the starting and finish point for the commands to write
> out in the current bash session (and to write them to something other
> than $HISTFILE of course).

IPython has the concept of profiles, which are implemented as
subdirectory trees of ~/.ipython.  Amongst other things in there is
a per-profile SQLite database which stores the command history.  This is
what the history database contains:

sqlite> .schema
CREATE TABLE sessions (session integer
    primary key autoincrement, start timestamp,
    end timestamp, num_cmds integer, remark text);
CREATE TABLE history
    (session integer, line integer, source text, source_raw text,
    PRIMARY KEY (session, line));
CREATE TABLE output_history
    (session integer, line integer, output text,
    PRIMARY KEY (session, line));

The inclusion of the raw source text as well as the source text
is intuitively a useful thing to have, though I don't currently
have any examples that demonstrate this.

While we are here, Julia's command history has timestamps, e.g

# time: 2015-05-17 20:03:14 CEST
# mode: julia
        z = open(readall, "data.txt")
# time: 2015-05-17 20:04:00 CEST
# mode: julia
        typeof(z)

If you are wondering about the syntax of that open command, the readall
clause sucks the file in in one go and does the close for you.  I/O out
of the way, you can devote your attention to the data, not how to get
it in.

--
Nobody has demonstrated a HTTP/2.0 implementation that approached
contemporary wire speeds.                    -- Poul-Henning Kamp