[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed May 20 09:54:48 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-20 13:32:57 +0000, Dirk Munk said:

> What I would like to see is this:
> 1. A PDF form is constructed with some kind of PDF editor, no need to
> do this on VMS.
> 2. Some kind of utility extracts the field names and field properties
> to a Fields File. This can be a VMS utility, and it could check the
> validity of the fields and produce the type of file we need. It could
> also be able to produce files with field definitions that can be
> included in application sources, for instance a file with fields that
> can be included in the Cobol Working Storage.
> 3. A callable utility (similar to PDFtk) opens the PDF form, the
> application fills in the data fields, calls the utility to transfer the
> contents of the data fields to the form, and then writes a page of the
> pdf file.

An HTML5 template is created, with Javascript or other embedded
scripting code that queries the database or otherwise fetches the data
from the data source or from the URL or from the POST data, and where
the local HTML5 rendering tool can then generate the completed form
into a buffer, and where the rendering tool then generates the PDF from
that HTML5.