[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Thu May 21 06:06:11 EDT 2015

In article <ffd465e7-da8b-4bac-b796-e765663836a6 at googlegroups.com>,
johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk writes:

> OK, excellent. Let's continue your journey towards enlightenment :)

Fill my empty brain with knowledge!  (Bonus points for anyone who
recognizes the source of this quote.)

> It doesn't instinctively sound like it should be happening, but maybe it
> is expected behaviour. We may be able to check, see later.

Just compared with a 7.3-2 satellite node which just booted.  I don't
see this there.

> Anything "interesting" in the quotas and such like in that accounting
> record, if you go for the /FULL record rather than the one-liner? If
> you're not sure what would be interesting, post the detail here?

I did do /FULL.

> To help answer those questions, have a look at comparable accounting
> records from a box where DECwindows does start OK. If that also has
> "IMGDMP..." I'll be surprised. If only the broken one has "IMGDMP...",
> that's a hint. But it could still be a red herring.

See above.

> Historically, as this is VMS and not a 'modern' OS, one might have
> expected that the IMGDMP status would be documented where all the
> others are documented, maybe in HELP /MESSAGE, or maybe in the System
> Messages and Recovery Procedures manual.

No, not in HELP/MESSAGE.

> Searching for things related to IMGDMP also reveals that there is an
> 8.4 UPDATE kit (V0500) which doesn't explicitly mention IMGDMP as a
> status but does mention an updated version of
> o  [SYSLIB]IMGDMP.EXE (new image)

DEC AXPVMS VMS84A_UPDATE V5.0        Patch       Install     Val 22-MAR-2015

> Hard to know whether it's relevant or not at this stage, and as a
> hobbyist do you have access to the UPDATE kit anyway?

Yes, as a hobbyist I get 8.4 and an UPDATE patch; see above.

> Is that (and hb's suggestion) enough to keep you occupied for a
> little while? I need to do some other stuff.

Unfortunately, so do I!  :-|

> Have a lot of fun.

It's definitely worth learning, I just wish I could do it at leisure,
and not because I have to solve a problem quickly.