[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Thu May 21 06:34:36 EDT 2015

In article <ffd465e7-da8b-4bac-b796-e765663836a6 at googlegroups.com>,
johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk writes:

As I mentioned, it worked immediately after the upgrade.  I then didn't
touch the system much at all for a couple of months.  I had feared that
TCPIP would cause a lot of problems, but it didn't.  I then started
TCPIP and it worked fine.  I have done a few things since then, but
between the upgrade and the AUTOGEN and reboot on Monday, didn't do
anything to the system except start TCPIP.

I just used SETPARAMS.DAT from BEFORE the upgrade to update the current
parameters and rebooted.  The problem is STILL there.

I would have thought that restoring the last parameters which worked
would have fixed things, since presumably it booted with these after the
reboot.  OK, they were produced on 7.3-2, but, again, after the upgrade
things WERE working.  Only after I did an AUTOGEN did they stop, so I
had really expected that restoring the last "good" parameters would at
least get things to work again, even if the problem itself is still not
clear.  Unfortunately, this didn't work.

One other thing I did: I had 2 4-GB disks as the system-disk shadow set.
I removed one as a backup and upgraded the other one.  Then I added a
9-GB disk.  The reason for the reboot after the upgrade was that I
wanted to move to a 9-GB system-disk shadow set, so I shut down the
system, just to be safe, removed the 4-GB disk, booted from the single
9-GB disk, then added another 9-GB disk.  I thus have a backup of the
system after the upgrade but before the problem occurred.  I can try to
boot from that.  I can't see how dynamically growing the shadow set
could cause the problem, though.  (I've done this several times.)