[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Thu May 21 09:27:11 EDT 2015

Bill Gunshannon skrev den 2015-05-21 14:19:
> In article <555cf16c$0$41757$c3e8da3$5d8fb80f at news.astraweb.com>,
> 	JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca> writes:
>> On 15-05-20 11:11, Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
>>
>>> You are way out of reality with JS, callable HTML5 rendering...
>>

>> Man, am I ever happy to see that someone else is accused of living in a
>> different Universe :-) Welcome to the club Hoff :-)
>
> I have said for a long time that many people here in c.o.v seem to
> live in an alternate reality.
>

>> In fairness to Hoff, when presented with a problem, it is a good
>> exercise to look at a variety of ways to solve it. And Hoff has
>> presented many ways.
>>
>> With regards to Hoff and CDA:   VSI could brush up the API documentation
>> and decide that this will be a strategic part of VMS and encourage
>> people to write converters for their file formats.
>>
>> Remember that Digital abandonned CDA and sold much of it to other
>> companies. There is no incentive to write converters to an architecture
>> that has been abandonned.
>
> Just to get at elast a little on topic, what about Ghostscript?

(This was ment to be sent before my last post...)

If I'm not wrong, Ghostscript only supports Postscript
as the input file format. Well, PDF also, but... :-)

So if your current application doesn't output PS, you have a
rewrite to do there also.

In most cases, what is available are plain text files/printouts.

I'd take a look at a tool like "text2pdf":
http://www.eprg.org/pdfcorner/text2pdf/

Not that it has already been built for VMS before (VAX and Alpha).

Can work for old plain text outputs.