[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Thu May 21 19:10:47 EDT 2015

In article <mjkq4s$e8l$1 at dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman
<seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:

> Usual reason for DECwindows startup failures are incorrect process
> quotas or incorrect system parameters, an incorrect DECwindows or
> system or cluster configuration, system- or process-level file access
> problems or file corruptions, hardware errors or unsupported hardware,
> or bugs in OpenVMS, in the OpenVMS DECwindows support, or in DECwindows.
>
> Usual path for resolution is working through the installation
> requirements and confirming that sufficient resources and quota
> settings are configured, verifying the DECwindows-related system
> parameters including rationalizing and variously removing the usual
> cruft that gets added to MODPARAMS.DAT followed by an AUTOGEN and a
> reboot, determining that the DECwindows device-specific resolution and
> configuration settings are correct if the device is "soft configured",
> then working through the debug-level startup logs looking for any
> obvious errors for DECwindows or for other lower-level hardware or
> software, then applying patches --- patches are obviously not an option
> for hobbyists --- and/or upgrading to the most current available versions
> and applying patches.

Given that it worked before the upgrade and now no longer works, I'm
pretty sure that it is a parameter or quota problem.  I would have
thought that the upgrade would have increased parameter values if
necessary, but maybe not.

I didn't see anything obviously related to this in the upgrade guide or
release notes.

What system parameters should I be looking at?  What are recommended
minimum values?  What about quotas and so on?  For which accounts?

First, I'll boot from 7.3-2 again and see what happens.