[Info-vax] 8.4 freespace-drift problem?

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Fri May 22 17:47:40 EDT 2015

captaillat at gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 1:18:09 AM UTC+2, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>> Twice since the upgrade I've noticed that the free space was off by
>> about 4 GB.  (After the upgrade I went from 4-GB to 9-GB disks, which
>> gave me 5 GB free instead of 1.  I was really surprised when I saw just
>> 1 GB free.)  ANA/DISK/REPAIR fixes it, but it appeared again a day
>> later.
>
> Maybe too simple, but did you try:
>
> $ set volume /rebuild device-name
>
> (just in case you mount them /norebuild on startup to quicken startup times. N.B., it can be delayed, but not forever)
>
>> The problem (at least so far) has been only on the system disk with 8.4.

Ok, I'm going to ask.  Normally I would not do so, because I have
problems believing anyone would ever do this.

Do you, every time, do a proper shutdown of VMS?  Or do you get in a
hurry and just hit the power or reset switch?

Way back, lo these many years, the prime reason I claimed MS-DOS wasn't
a "real" OS was because it did not include any shutdown procedure.

Also, mount /norebuild is a very dangerous option, and should only be
used in emergencies.  My opinion.  YMMV