[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sat May 23 10:01:21 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-23 06:18:52 +0000, Paul Sture said:

> Have you tried increasing GBLPAGES as well?
>
> I'll suggest adding 50,000 to GBLPAGES.  Yes that's a figure plucked
> from the air, but I'm deliberately erring on the generous side.

IIRC, configuring each 128 pages requires four bytes.   By my
probably-bad memory and probably-equally-bad math, configuring 262144
GBLPAGES requires committing ONE PAGE of Alpha or Itanium memory.
Over-configuring has very low costs, and avoids hassles later.  In
short, crank it.

> There was a known problem with that parameter in earlier versions of
> VMS where DECwindows would see a shortage, and try to remedy it by
> adding an entry to MODPARAMS.DAT (or maybe one of the INCLUDEd Autogen
> files - I forget the precise details), but fail to do so correctly.

IIRC, that morass amounted to missed testing and two sources of truth;
the checks and the adjustments.  The parameter addition did not match
the requirements of the parameter test.   The layered product software
tests missed this case entirely.   Rinse, lather, repeat.

This is part of why I think how AUTOGEN and the layered product
installs should be overhauled, and particularly support for application
profiles added.   Register the system parameters and the user settings
at install, then adjust the parameters post-installation and reboot if
needed, and check the quotas at image startup.

Having rolled out explicit process and parameter quota checks into
applications and seen the resulting and massive decreases in weird
errors, the current design and current interface is far too dependent
on the correct operations of humans.  The resulting errors secondary to
quota depletions tend to be awful to troubleshoot, too.

But I digress.

Quota limits and parameter limits and related decisions need to be
periodically re-evaluated, lest they become impediments to easier
operations, and for what can become no positive values.  In three to
five years, if the users don't have servers with eight or sixteen
gigabytes — that's typical of decent-grade x86-64 laptops now, and new
x86-64 servers with a terabyte of RAM are now priced at US$15K to
US$20K, after all — then start down the path to require memory hardware
upgrades or to de-support those older and under-configured boxes on
newer releases.  Relegate the old and under-configured boxes that can't
be upgraded to long-term support releases, or schedule and de-support
them.  Or don't support underconfigured boxes to start with.

With x86-64, we are NOT in the same hardware world that VAX, Alpha or
even Itanium existed in.

But I digress, again.

Related <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1374>
<http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/461>