[Info-vax] grey screen of death

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 24 07:50:58 EDT 2015

In article <9083c060-4221-41f8-a68f-4f865bb36013 at googlegroups.com>,
johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk writes:

> On what basis do you expect that a resource problem won't "affect
> only DECwindows"? Depending on your system configuration (hardware AND software) and parameters (neither of which readers here can see directly),
> it is entirely possible that DECwindows is one of the most demanding
> appplications on your system in terms of numbers of processes and other
> related stuff, and therefore entirely possible that only DECwindows has
> a visible issue.

Maybe.  However, considering that it runs fine on systems with much
smaller memory, and much lower values of the system parameters, this
seems unlikely.  Unless a) 8.4 has changed a lot here and b) the upgrade
completely screwed this up.

> I'm out and about for the next few hours (it's a wet Whit weekend
> here in the UK). Once again, best of luck.

As I said, I'll go through all of the suggestions, try 7.3-2 again, and
see what I find.  If I can't solve it by tomorrow evening, it will have
to waait until the end of July; I have too many other things to do.