[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 24 16:06:27 EDT 2015

In article <55621337$0$29555$c3e8da3$e074e489 at news.astraweb.com>, JF
Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca> writes:

> Something else to try:
>
> do not start the decwindows server, only the client environment.

Redirecting the display, logging in (via LAT) and running DECW$CLOCK
works fine.

> Telnet to host. SET DISPLAY /transport=TCPIP/node=x.x.x.x then  MC
> DECW$LOGIN

I guess you mean decw$startlogin.

> This should pop the  decwindows login screen on the target X window
> terminal.

No, it doesn't.  SHOW SYSTEM shows the same behaviour as happens after I
do @SYS$MANAGER:DECW$STARTUP RESTART, i.e. processes last for a few
seconds (running LOGINOUT.EXE) before dying.

> You need to isolate whether the problem lies with the server side (the x
> terminal) or the client software (CDE etc).

I can display other stuff on graphics monitors on other nodes, but I
can't bring up the login box (neither locally nor displaying on another
node).  It's the login box that is the problem.  Also, the reverse of
the stuff at the top, i.e. running DECW$CLOCK on a 7.3-2 node and
trying to display on the 8.4 node, brings:

X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display
%DWT-F-NOMSG, Message number 03AB8204