[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 24 16:42:47 EDT 2015

In article <556242c0$1 at news.langstoeger.at>, peter at langstoeger.at (Peter
'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER) writes:

> But it could well be a quota problem, as you upgraded the rest of your
> VMS system and VMS and its LP had used more resources with newer versions
> in almost every new version (while rareley reducing its speed).
> So, having the same SYSGEN values, but e.g. TCPIP V5.7 now consuming much
> more ressources than TCPIP V5.4 so fewer ressources are left for MOTIF...

IIRC, I didn't start TCPIP after the upgrade, because I feared that the
SMTP configuration would be a real pain.  Actually, it worked OK.  (I
still don't like the idea of a text file for configuration; will SYSUAF
go the same route in the future?)  Maybe I should shut down TCPIP and
then see if I can get the login box to come up.

> btw: I have in my MODPARAMS.DAT only a few specific lines and a lot of
> AGEN$INCLUDE_PARAMS lines (one for a COMMON.PAR, one for a BOOTSERVER.PAR
> or SATELLITE.PAR or for a STANDALONE.PAR and one for every LP not common
> for all my machines - the common ones have its own AGEN$INCLUDE_PARAMS line
> in the COMMON.PAR)

Same here.