[Info-vax] grey screen of death

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 24 17:53:30 EDT 2015

In article <iur93c-aah.ln1 at news.chingola.ch>, Paul Sture
<nospam at sture.ch> writes:

> >> 	and by considering the following lines for your MODPARAMS.DAT
> >> 	MIN_LNMSHASHTBL=512
> >> 	MIN_MAXPROCESSCNT=128
> >> 	MIN_PQL_DBYTLM=32768
> >> 	MIN_RESHASHTBL=512
> >> 	MIN_TTY_ALTYPAHD=2064
> >> 	MIN_TTY_ALTALARM=1600
> >> 	MIN_TTY_TYPAHDSZ=2064
> >
> > Have done all the suggestions.  Will see what happens after AUTOGEN and
> > REBOOT.

OK, AUTOGEN and reboot.

Problem is still the same.

DECW$SERVER_0 is always there.  DTLOGIN appears for about a second every
few seconds or so, and DTGREET for just a fraction of a second.
Something is looping.

ACCOUNTING shows subprocesses being terminated (successfully) about 6
times per second.  This is after the restart of DECwindows from a
different but privileged account so I'm pretty sure the subprocesses are
related to the restart, based on the username.  (When I've occasionally
had to restart a running DECwindows in the past, it worked fine from
this account.)

MONI SYSTEM shows about 16 per cent CPU, but SHOW SYSTEM shows total CPU
time for all processes on the system of just a few seconds.  Nothing
ever shows up as the "top" process.  Also, MONI SYSTEM/TOPC shows
nothing.  My guess is that these subprocesses are using up the CPU, but
exist for too short a time for MONITOR to catch them.

It really looks like something is looping.

ACCOUNTING/FULL is useful, but it would be more useful if it would give
the process name.  :-(  The huge number of subrocesses also make it
difficult to look through them all.  I did see some "quota exceeded"
messages, though.  :-|

Could it be the OPEN3D problem, as Peter mentioned?

Is there any danger in de-installing it?  Or do I have to repeat the
upgrade?  :-)

I could generate a fresh ACCOUNTNG.DAT file and reboot if any expert
wants to take a look.  :-)  If this leads to solving the problem, you
get a free meal the next time we meet.  :-)