[Info-vax] Media failures, was: Re: grey screen of death

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Mon May 25 03:54:30 EDT 2015

In article <1f048fe5-8d19-4693-9280-09dd0162d902 at googlegroups.com>,
Steven Schweda <sms.antinode at gmail.com> writes:

> > Want to see it go bad?  Sit it in the sun for a while.  [...]
>
> > [...] the best way is some sort of shadowing, [...]
>
>    Clearly, some form of shadowing could help with that sun problem.

I should have spotted the opportunity to raid the newsgroup with such a
pun!

I blame it on DECwindows!  (Too much sun shining in through them!)  I
normally work at a satellite in the attic (it's in a very low orbit)
with CDE.  Today, I have some other stuff to do, so didn't boot
(launch?) the satellite, but still wanted to check the newsgroup this
morning, so did so in the cellar.  Not at a terminal (though that has
been the main method recently since DECwindows is not working on the 8.4
node in the cellar with the nice monitor), but at a 7.3-2 node with a
monitor attached.  Alas, there was no mouse, so I was limited to one
terminal.  I have now connected a mouse!  It's a small monitor with
relatively low resolution, so a DECterm takes up almost an entire
workspace, but it works fine.