[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

Hans Vlems hvlems at freenet.de
Mon May 25 04:28:43 EDT 2015

To complicate things a little more, or at least adding to the confusion,
let me tell you that I've just completed the upgrade from 8.3 (unpatched) to
8.4 on an XP1000 with 1.5 GB main memory.
The system came up and showed a login screen on the graphics terminal
(SRM console variable set to serial).
Initially keynoard and mouse appeared inoperable but that was because I put
the connectors in the wrong outlets...
That corrected, DECwindows worked for me.
The only post-upgrade action executed was running AUTHORIZE and set
WSDEF=6000 for all accounts present on the system.
At the moment UPDATE V10.0 was just installed and the system gets rebooted.

Which proves the point that that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with
8.4, neither unpatched nor patched.
The only difference with your upgrade was that it was done on a V8.3
platform.

So if you need values for SYSGEN or UAF parameters let me know.

Hans