[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Mon May 25 04:47:28 EDT 2015

In article <mjun69$up2$1 at news.albasani.net>, Jan-Erik Soderholm
<jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com> writes:

> What I find weird, is that you get DWTABORT (right?) but there
> is no was to find out *what* that "fatal error" actualy is.

That was when trying to display something from another node, not the
basic problem with the login box.

> Anyway, *I* do not think this is some simple SYSGEN or UAF
> parameter that is a little "off". It more sounds like some
> fundamentional error in the configuration or that something
> in the upgrade from 7.x to 8.4 brooke. Some part/file from
> the old system has stayed, or something...
>
> I'd also try a fresh 8.4 install on a clean scratch disk
> on the same system just to verify the hardware.

This would be better than going back to 7.3-2, going to 8.3, then going
to 8.4.

I can of course boot again from 7.3-2 to verify the hardware.  I can
then do a fresh install with 8.4 and see what happens.  If the problem
occurs again, I can do a fresh install of 8.3. and then go to 8.4 and
see if it goes away.  If so, then it might be worth upgrading my 7.3-2
disk to 8.3 then to 8.4.

I just posted my parameters.  Unless someone finds something obviously
wrong, you're probably right that there is some problem with the
upgrade.