[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Mon May 25 13:31:31 EDT 2015

On 15-05-25 03:24, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

> First, in such a case, wouldn't it just not work, as opposed to the
> looping which I am seeing?

The login one is a special case as it keeps trying to get to the
designated display it get the display. At first because it may launch
before the X terminal is ready, and I believe that it tries regularly so
it can kick in after you have logged out. (normally or session was
terminated abnormally).

> Second, how could this have changed?  Remember, it DID work after the
> upgrade; it stopped after the reboot.  No reason to expect a reboot to
> have changed this.

Can you confirm that this was the first reboot after the upgrade (which
would have included a reboot or two, right ?)

what does "xhost"  show ?    Normally you would put ip addresses in there.

In OS-X the man page says:

NAMES
       A complete name has the syntax ``family:name'' where the
families  are
       as follows:

       inet      Internet host (IPv4)
       inet6     Internet host (IPv6)
       dnet      DECnet host
       nis       Secure RPC network name
       krb       Kerberos V5 principal
       local     contains only one name, the empty string
       si        Server Interpreted

       The family is case insensitive.  The format of the name varies
with the
       family.

you you might try "xhost +local"   This will add "local" to the list of
authorized hosts allowed to connect to the display. Normally one
wouldn't need this. But if forcing "local" to be allowed makes it work,
it would really mean it is an access/protections issue.

xhost without arguments lists the status and currently authorized nodes.

such as
bike:~ $  xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
INET:velovx.vixenation.ca
INET:bike.vixenation.ca
INET:velo.vixenation.ca
INET:chain.vixenation.ca

> It seems to be a resource problem, though why it
> showed up only after the reboot is not clear.

autogen runned during the instance where decwindows was working. But
parameters only kicked in at next reboot.

>> If so, have you tried to see if someone is listening to
>> port 6000 on that node ? (is it netstat that does it on VMS , i forget).
>
> TCPIP SH DEV shows no port 6000.

try netstat -a  (IIRC) this shows the real list of who is listening to
what port.

You need to define a logical to enable TCPIP connections in DECwindows.
Otherwise it is just local and DECNET. And you shoudl have it in
sylogicals.com because if decwindows is starts via sysman, it can start
before your systartup_vms has finished.

> Logical names are the same on all nodes, except that on the 8.4 node,
> the DECW$SESSION* logical names (with lower-case translations) are not
> defined.

Normal as you are not loggen in so there is no session manager running.