[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Mon May 25 16:57:50 EDT 2015

Booted my 7.3 on SIMH.

I test if the node has graphics and if it has it, then ELSE below kicks in:

$ELSE
$       define/system DECW$INSTALL_TCPIP "TRUE"
$!      @SYS$MANAGER:DECW$STARTUP   ! Will be started by SYSMAN
automatically

The INSTALL_TCPIP logical is used by the DECW startup procedures to
build the list of transports that will be supported. I think it also
sets up local symbols that are used.

> %DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
>  \XHOST\

I was sure I used it on VMS. Maybe I'll have to boot my Alpha and see if
it is in there.  You should do a dir disk:[000000...]*xhost*.* to see if
there is any config file that would have list of hosts authorized to
connect to your x terminal (decw$server).

If I knew how to define the logical to enable TCPIP it must mean that I
knew how to enable connections from remote hosts.

BWT, the DECW utilities are in:

 DECW$UTILS which points to:
 DUA0:[VMS$COMMON.SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.DECW.UTILS]

$ type DECW$DEFINE_UTILS.COM    <- you should invoke this in your login.com

$atobm          :== "$decw$utils:atobm"
$bitmap         :== "$decw$utils:bitmap"
$bmtoa          :== "$decw$utils:bmtoa"
$xdpyinfo       :== "$decw$utils:xdpyinfo"
$xev            :== "$decw$utils:xev"
$xlsatoms       :== "$decw$utils:xlsatoms"
$xlsfonts       :== "$decw$utils:xlsfonts"
$xlswins        :== "$decw$utils:xlswins"
$xmag           :== "$decw$utils:xmag"
$xmodmap        :== "$decw$utils:xmodmap"
$xprop          :== "$decw$utils:xprop"
$xrdb           :== "$decw$utils:xrdb"
$xrefresh       :== "$decw$utils:xrefresh"
$xset           :== "$decw$utils:xset"
$xsetroot       :== "$decw$utils:xsetroot"
$xwd            :== "$decw$utils:xwd"
$xwininfo       :== "$decw$utils:xwininfo"
$xwud           :== "$decw$utils:xwud"
$xpr            :== "$decw$utils:xpr"

Interestingly:
in my  DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM , I have:
$!
$!
$define decw$server_page_file "60000"
$define decw$server_wsdef "13000"
$define decw$server_wsquota "20000"
$define decw$server_wsextent "40000"
$!

The above are for vax mind you, so those values not proper for Alpha,
but indication that defaults are not enough.