[Info-vax] Odd behaviors of IA64 C++ Compiler?

RobertsonEricW robertsonericw at netzero.net
Fri May 29 16:57:44 EDT 2015

Lately I have been using the OpenVMS C++ compiler (HP C++ V7.4-005 on OpenVMS IA64 V8.4) on IA64 to compile some of our IQware code and it seems to me there may be at last a few things "out of whack" in comparison to the corresponding C++ compiler implementation on the Alpha:

1.) Lists of files to compile are not supported ?!!

$ CXXCMDDEBUG ActiveRuleSet.cpp,parameter_map.cpp

%CXX-F-UNSUPPCOMMALIST, Comma lists are not supported. Only the first file was
          compiled.

%CXX-I-MESSAGE, 1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "DISK$IQ:[SD
31]parameter_map.cpp;4".

%CXX-I-MESSAGE, Compilation terminated.

2.) Things that should be recognized within the std:: namespace are not:

    std::cout << *it << std::endl;
.........^
%CXX-E-NOTMEMBER, namespace "std" has no member "cout"
at line number 97 in file DISK$IQ:[SD31]ActiveRuleSet.cpp;23

    std::cout << *it << std::endl;
.............................^
%CXX-E-NOTMEMBER, namespace "std" has no member "endl"
at line number 97 in file DISK$IQ:[SD31]ActiveRuleSet.cpp;23

3.) Default template parameters to std::basic_string<> template instantiations are not provided?!!

      const basic_string<char> ToString() const
%CXX-E-FEWTMPLARGS, too few arguments for class template "std::basic_string"

Has anybody else noticed this or is my C++ compilation command screwing things up?

CXX/USING_STD/SWITCH=EXTCRC_V71_NAMES/DEBUG/NOOPT/LIST/POINTER_SIZE=32/PREFIX=ALL/GRANULARITY=LONG/REENTRANCY=MULTITHREAD/NAMES=(AS_IS,SHORTENED)/STANDARD=ARM/FLOAT=IEEE/NOANSI/EXTERN=STRICT/INCLUDE=ORA_ROOT:[RDBMS.PUBLIC]/DEFINE=(__NEW_STARLET)

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Eric