[Info-vax] Odd behaviors of IA64 C++ Compiler?

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri May 29 17:13:38 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-29 20:57:44 +0000, RobertsonEricW said:

> Lately I have been using the OpenVMS C++ compiler (HP C++ V7.4-005 on
> OpenVMS IA64 V8.4) on IA64 to compile some of our IQware code and it
> seems to me there may be at last a few things "out of whack" in
> comparison to the corresponding C++ compiler implementation on the
> Alpha:

FWIW, the Itanium C++ compiler is based on the Intel C++ compiler, and
not on the OpenVMS Alpha C++ compiler environment.

Beyond what's listed in the User's Guide for OpenVMS Systems chapter
Porting to I64 Systems
<http://h71000.www7.hp.com/commercial/cplus/docs/ugv_port.html> — see
the references there around "Comma lists are not supported. Their use
provokes a fatal error.", and the section around "%CXX-E-UNDECLARED,
identifier "cout" is undefined", and have a look at the couple of
references to the basic_string class that available there — you'll want
to lodge any complaints and any enhancement requests with HP or (soon)
with VSI.