[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

seasoned_geek roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sun May 31 11:17:21 EDT 2015

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 4:01:00 PM UTC-5, johnwa... at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> The Proliant will also be qualified to run a couple of business
> class Linuxes (the Packard Bell? Why?)
>
> Think about how the *systems* compare:
> . Resilient (Proliant) vs cheap (consumer)
> .. e.g. redundant PSU vs single PSU, ECC memory vs non-ECC, etc
> . Serviceable (Proliant) vs disposable (consumer)
> . Expandable (Proliant) vs bounded (consumer)
> . Documented (Proliant) vs 'good luck with that, mate' (consumer)
> . Expected lifetime of years (Proliant) vs months (consumer)
> . Multiple OS multiple version support (Proliant) vs you get what
> you're given and that's it (consumer)

You know, it never ceases to amaze me just how short of a memory people have. It was not all that long ago Amazon made the nightly news for roughly a week due to a massive outage where they had to replace so many thousands of servers it exceeded their suppliers capacity to provide them.

Most of the other "cloud" providers have had similar outages where hundreds or thousands of these supposedly enterprise quality servers committed harry-kari in a Jonestown like fashion.

Quit drinking the KOOL-AID