[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

abrsvc dansabrservices at yahoo.com
Sun May 31 11:33:08 EDT 2015

> It never ceases to amaze me just how many people have bought into the marketing fraud that a game controller is good enough to run the world.
>
> To achieve ultimate reliability and performance an OS must be written to utilize the strengths of their ecosystem. (This pretty much explains Windows since its ecosystem has no strengths.)
>
> This IBM+NVIDIA venture will produce an ecosystem which will be the high end industry standard. People ignored AMD after they waxed INTELs arse with a 64-bit x86 INTEL could not build. They've been waxing their arse ever since, but people by into marketing fraud/hype/incompetence and horrible decisions get made. Having "dine & dive" Bob on their board didn't help AMD any either. So they bought NVIDIA and kept putting new designs on the video cards and now CUDA rules the land.
>
> Very few of the projects for BOINC bother supporting Intel GPUs because they just don't measure up, and they don't support OpenCL. Even with a custom driver they still suck.
>
> The IBM+NVIDIA native ecosystem will yield an exponential leap forward in processor power without any significant changes in either the CPU or GPU. This will be an "open" solution while anything INTEL does will be proprietary and and begin to be shunned internationally.
>
> High end ARM isn't going to pan out. Too difficult to target designs for the near zero power consumption embedded market and the suck-all-power-from-the-planet server market.

My own opinion here (FWIW) is that the problem is not necessarily the hardware being crap  the OS not being totally up to par for a business critical environment  I truly believe that VSI can provide a stable and long lasting OS environment similar to that seen on VAX and Alpha even though the underlying platform is the X86.  Hardware is not as "unreliable" as it would appear.  There are many sites that continue to run applications on hardware that is more than 5 years old without problems.  I can site VAX and ALpha locations that are less stable than that too.

Dan