[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Sun May 31 11:35:09 EDT 2015

seasoned_geek wrote:
> On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 3:25:06 AM UTC-5, li... at openmailbox.org wrote:
>> Mobility/agility does not translate to good support for a large client base
>> or large, complicated software ecosystems. It can be a good development
>> model. It is rarely a good support model.
>
> Agreed. When the doo-doo really hits the fan you need masses of *sses. Everyone who calls wants a human on the other end of the line. Someone that __NATIVELY__ speaks their language not brokenly stumbles through a script.
>
>> Linux has thousands of developers and tens of thousands of applications
>> developers. Anybody can report a bug. But Linux and 99.9% of the apps that
>> run on it are still crapware. And those guys are motivated! They're just
>> mostly clueless and wrong.
>
> Oh, it is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar worse than that. Having been working with Qt and dealing with Ubuntu, Mint, and half a dozen other distros. I will leave out the years of living in RPM hell dealing with OpenSuSE, Fedora, and that ilk.
>
> Those developers aren't "motivated" much beyond putting "Linux Package A maintainer" in big bold letters on their resume followed in very small print by "for distro x". Yes, anyone "can" report a bug, unless you are talking about Ubuntu where they periodically lock bug reporting out and only report bugs via a specific channel for people who subscribe, then install and run full debug versions of everything (makes my 6-core with 24G of RAM run like a 286 with DOS 4.0)
>
> Yes, there are __some__ who might genuinely care and be qualified, but most are just looking for the title. Let's discuss some specific cases.
>
> Apple, for some stupid reason, has been allowed to maintain CUPS. The genetic missfits in charge of that decided to take it upon themselves to throw out the mature and well tested PostScript communications method/support making all PPDs and drivers now support fuzzy and bug ridden PDF. Why? A lot of smoke came out, but nothing justifiable. It broke every printer except those for raw ASCII.
>
> Oh, but they couldn't stop until all were broken, they also took it upon themselves to drop both serial and parallel support from CUPS. Why? Because Apple hadn't made a computer with those in years. I kid you not, that was the answer!!!! Despite the hundreds of thousands of parallel and serial impact printers out there printing scale tickets and other things legally required to be on multipart form (especially those customs tickets).
>
> That debacle happened with an LTS release.
>
> Ubuntu allows an individual from Egypt or some place like that to be the maintainer of the modem software for the non-hardware we-owe-it-to-dumb-arse-Microsoft fake modems, most of which slip into those tiny slots. The dude has to drive to another town and borrow his friends computer to test anything. He repeatedly turns in fixes which do not compile. You know what they heads of the Ubuntu support forum said?

> [...]

This was a rather funny read.  Mostly because I don't use any of that
*ux shit.  What you write is one of the reasons I don't.

Got a solution for you.  Keep those bug reports going.  Increase the
number as much as you can.  Ought to be plenty of room for expansion.
The people getting them will learn who is "bugging" them, and soon begin
to ignore you.  Then you will no longer get back any of those really
stupid replies.

:-)