[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun May 31 21:44:27 EDT 2015

On 2015-06-01 00:14:16 +0000, David Froble said:

> Sure sounds to me like a great reason to "just say no" to Linux.

Linux works well for many folks.

More like a good reason to understand who and what you're depending on,
and what your external formal and informal support relationships and
channels and dependencies are.

In the ever-larger and more complex systems that you, I and many others
are now working with, application development work increasingly
involves integration, and work well beyond the more traditional
development and testing and documentation and support work.  You should
ponder what software and hardware you can or should use or reuse (or
expunge), and knowing what components you still need to contract for or
to develop yourself in-house.  Knowing who you can call, as well as
recognizing that you ultimately still own the issues if or should your
acquisitions or outsourcing efforts fail, is important, too.

Some fodder, from the perspective of a bunch that's looking into open
source integration in their environment:
<https://18f.gsa.gov/2014/11/26/how-to-use-more-open-source/>