[Info-vax] OpenSSL 1.1.0 released

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net_work
Mon Sep 5 22:14:12 EDT 2016

On 9/5/2016 8:21 PM, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On 9/5/16 6:05 PM, Bill Pedersen wrote:
>> I believe John Malmberg has discussed here and also on SourceFORGE and
>> the DECUServe site the fact that there cannot be duplicate file names
>> in PCSI installation kits.
>>
>> The issue, according to John, is that PCSI looks only at the file
>> name, not the directory information.
>
> There has to be more to the story than that, at least with current
> versions of PCSI. The Perl kits I produce have multiple files with the
> same name in different directories and it works just fine.
>
> Do "dir/size perl_root:[000000...]VMS.pm" for an example.

I do not recall exactly what versions of VMS and PCSI ECO kits where I
saw the behavior.

I am building PCSI kits in some cases on VAX/VMS 7.3, Alpha VMS 8.3/8.4,
and IA64/VMS 8.4.

What I saw was that in at least some cases, when there were multiple
files with the same name, PCSI picked one of the files and used it
everywhere and ignored the source directory directive.

I am not sure that it picked the first file with that name it found, or
if it did it with all duplicate names in the kit.

Since then I have set up the PCSI kits so that all filenames in the kit
are unique, ODS-2 compliant and have a post-install/pre-uninstall
procedure to make links with the expected names to the installed files.

And for ODS-5 files a post-install procedure that will rename them to
the expected case on an ODS-5 volume, as some versions of PCSI did not
seem to preserve case.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net_work