[Info-vax] OS specific APIs, was: Re: September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Sat Sep 10 10:29:09 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-10, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:

> Personal opinion.
>
> I think that when you implement an environment on top of another environment,
> then you're no longer really running executables under the lower (not sure what
> term) environment.  In this case, if special stuff is implemented in C, then by
> using it you're no longer running on VMS.

And what if that special stuff is needed to get code written to run under
another operating system running on VMS as well ?

> I also think that if you're going to claim that you're running executables on
> VMS, then it should always be VMS services used to do things, not some language
> specific replacement of a VMS service.

So IOW, what you are saying is that any code imported from, say, Unix
should be re-written to use VMS specific APIs instead and that people
should go to the effort of maintaining a seperate VMS version of the
code ?

Also how would you handle new versions of the main code base; would
those same people have to manually import changes in the main version
of the code into the VMS specific version ?

Good luck with that... :-)

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP