[Info-vax] OS specific APIs, was: Re: September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 11:04:10 EDT 2016

and
> that people
> should go to the effort of maintaining a seperate VMS
> version of the
> code ?
>
> Also how would you handle new versions of the main
> code base; would
> those same people have to manually import changes in
> the main version
> of the code into the VMS specific version ?
>
> Good luck with that... :-)
>
> Simon.

Is this not the decades old argument about the trade-offs
associated with creating a portable application vs.
optimizing an app for max performance on a specific OS
platform?

It's not specific to OpenVMS. You would also have
compatibility issues if you wanted to optimize an open
source application to take advantage of Solaris specific
libraries / calls /containers to perhaps maximize the app
performance on one of the latest SPARC systems.

It depends on what your priorities are.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com