[Info-vax] Unix tools on VMS, was: Re: September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Sun Sep 11 04:51:47 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-11, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
> Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2016-09-10, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
>>> If what one wants is *ix, then why not just use *ix?
>>
>> Because perhaps some people want VMS but they also want to be able
>> to run Unix tools on VMS because those tools bring some much needed
>> or desired functionality to VMS ?
>>

> Well, if it was my call, and I'm not saying it is, then I'd say implement the
> functionality (tools) on VMS.
>
> What I don't have much concern for is blaming VMS for not having some *ix
> functionality.

Really ?

Really simple example: GNU diff is vastly superior to the VMS version.

With GNU diff, as well as having a much more readable unified diff output
format, you can also compare differences between two directory trees.

Second example: bash offers all kinds of UI features not present in
DCL or which have been implemented in a clumsy manner in DCL (such as
searching for previous commands).

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP