[Info-vax] Unix tools on VMS, was: Re: September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Sun Sep 11 08:18:10 EDT 2016

Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2016-09-11, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
>> Simon Clubley wrote:
>>> Because perhaps some people want VMS but they also want to be able
>>> to run Unix tools on VMS because those tools bring some much needed
>>> or desired functionality to VMS ?
>>>
>> Well, if it was my call, and I'm not saying it is, then I'd say implement the
>> functionality (tools) on VMS.
>>
>> What I don't have much concern for is blaming VMS for not having some *ix
>> functionality.
>
> Really ?
>
> Really simple example: GNU diff is vastly superior to the VMS version.

Never having used it, I'll have to take your word for this ....

> With GNU diff, as well as having a much more readable unified diff output
> format, you can also compare differences between two directory trees.

Now, what was I writing?  Oh, yes, implement on VMS.  I've got a simple tool I
call COMPARE that does just that, on VMS, compare differences in two
directories.  Most likely not the same, and I'll admit the tool could be greatly
improved.  Works for me.

> Second example: bash offers all kinds of UI features not present in
> DCL or which have been implemented in a clumsy manner in DCL (such as
> searching for previous commands).

Ok, taking your word for this also.

But, how does any of what you've written justify blaming VMS for not being able
to just compile, link, and run the *ix tools?  That's my issue.  And my question.

If you want the tools on VMS, then feel free to implement them there.  That's
how they got on *ix, right?  Somebody did some work.