[Info-vax] GNV (was: Re: September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun Sep 11 10:57:36 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-11 14:48:13 +0000, Craig A. Berry said:

> On 9/11/16 8:31 AM, IanD wrote:
>
>> Is gnu released as part of OpenVMS now? Isn't it a separate download?
>> Why? Why isn't it part of the standard OpenVMS distribution and install?
>
> I assume you mean GNV, not gnu? Some of it is probably covered by GPLv3
> now and might pose problems for inclusion with the base OS. But,
> generally speaking, yes, why not? Apple has something like 200 open
> source packages distributed with macOS, which is close to two orders of
> magnitude more than VMS has without extra installations.

I've not encountered any GPL3 source code in OS X / macOS.  What I have
encountered is generally BSD/MIT, GPL2, or Apple-licensed.   Most of
the OS X / macOS kernel is open source, as are some tools and
components, though large tracts of user-land are definitely not open
source.   This approach allows incorporating GPL2 source code, though
open-sourcing OpenVMS is an approach reportedly unavailable to VSI.

https://opensource.apple.com