[Info-vax] VMS and the Internet of Things (IoT)

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 22:53:39 EDT 2016

One word - software.

That is the sweet spot with partnering with IBM to bring another OS platform to Power9.

> > In addition, most mainframe types will not likely jump on
> any OS
> > platform running on X86-64. Should Power9 be successful,
> then that
> > platform would be viewed more favorably as a mainframe
> alternative.
>
> The mainframe market worked out well for DEC, of course.
> And a
> bespoke high-end processor or two worked for OpenVMS
> for some years — in the form of Alpha and Itanium — but all
> that eventually ran up
> against the cost advantages of x86-64.   Which is right where
> Power is
> now...

The issue with mainframes is not the cost of the hardware, rather the license and support costs of the software.

To go after the mainframe market, you need a non-X86 platform and a deep understanding of what the mainframe world is all about.

High throughput, rock solid platform with ultra-high availability and high security.

> If I were guessing, AArch64 is the eventual next target, as
> that creeps up into the x86-64 performance range, assuming
> the ARM vendors get SBSA
> and other details sorted.   But that's still a port that's way
> outside
> of any reasonable window of planning and discussion for
> OpenVMS.

ARM (British company) was just bought by Softbank - a Japanese company. Sept 6 2016.
https://www.arm.com/-/media/arm-com/news/Simon-Segars_Masayoshi-Son-letter_Sept-6-2016.pdf?la=en

What you are saying will depend a lot on no culture issues dragging the company down or key designers jumping ship.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com