[Info-vax] PowerX Roadmap - Extended beyond 2020

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Fri Sep 16 11:05:29 EDT 2016

Bob Koehler wrote:
> In article <nrfrgj$res$1 at dont-email.me>, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>> Don't know why you insist on RMS.  I haven't used it since before 1984.  If I
>> was working on something new, with perhaps special file I/O requirements, then
>> I'd consider how I might best do the job.
>
>    Done any file I/O on VMS lately?  If not via RMS, then how?
>
>    If you so much as accessed a file by name and path, you used RMS.

Yes, you are correct.  Didn't see any reason to re-invent the wheel.  The RMS
filename parser is used.

But, once the file name is resolved, it's QIO and IO$PERFORM and such for the
rest of the operations.  And, from my perspective, it's not too shabby.

It's not here, yet, but down the road there might be capabilities such as direct
I/O to and from NV memory.