[Info-vax] PowerX Roadmap - Extended beyond 2020

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Sep 19 08:25:01 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-16 15:22, Bob Koehler wrote:
> In article <nrfrgj$res$1 at dont-email.me>, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>>
>> Don't know why you insist on RMS.  I haven't used it since before 1984.  If I
>> was working on something new, with perhaps special file I/O requirements, then
>> I'd consider how I might best do the job.
>
>    Done any file I/O on VMS lately?  If not via RMS, then how?

$QIO? :-)

>    If you so much as accessed a file by name and path, you used RMS.

I seriously doubt that RMS *have* to be involved. It's just convenient.
Down at the bottom end I would expect that you do a QIO to open a file,
and use QIO to read/write. In order to find a file, you start by opening
FID (4,4,0), then you read through the directory searching for the next
directory entry you need. Rinse and repeat until you are at the actual file.

A bit tedious, but definitely doable without involving RMS, unless VMS
removed that functionality somewhere along the way.

	Johnny