[Info-vax] PowerX Roadmap - Extended beyond 2020

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Fri Sep 16 15:12:45 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-16, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
> IanD wrote:
>>
>> When one looks at things like the Gartner report on IoT for 2017 - 2018, the
>> power requirements of devices is going to need to be extremely low
>
> Again, I ask, what has this to do with VMS.  That's a HW issue.  You might say
> that VMS doesn't run on light weight HW, today, but that doesn't mean it
> couldn't in the future.  However, just talking about VMS as an OS, perhaps it
> just might work well in some new environments.

Once again... :-)

How many VMS systems do you think are capable of running on a single
PP3 battery or the equivalent current of a PP3 ?

Once you solve that problem with either an ARM or MIPS port how much
effort do you think it would then take to restructure VMS along the
lines of an embedded OS so that you can write a BSP to allow VMS to
be brought up on your custom ARM or MIPS board ?

This would also include the tools to generate a custom VMS bootable
image (which would include your application) which could be booted
directly (for example) from flash. (Note that this isn't a USB flash
drive but flash sitting directly on the memory bus.)

What do you think are the chances of VSI doing this work when there
are a large range of established embedded OS options, both real time
and otherwise, already in existence ?

IOW, it simply isn't going to happen.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP