[Info-vax] "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Richard Levitte richard at levitte.org
Sat Sep 17 08:15:12 EDT 2016

Den fredag 16 september 2016 kl. 17:11:48 UTC+2 skrev Stephen Hoffman:
> On 2016-09-16 14:56:24 +0000, Craig A. Berry said:
>
> > Also at first glance, it's only including iosbdef.h on Alpha, and
> > otherwise rolling its own _iosb struct. Surely that should be #ifndef
> > _VAX rather than #ifdef __alpha?
>
> Yeah; that #ifdef __alpha sends Itanium down the wrong path.  It'll
> very likely work (which is why nobody noticed?), but OpenVMS I64 does
> provide the iosbdef.h include file, as undoubtedly will future
> platforms.

If someone has a suggested change, please send them to me.  I haven't made any functional change to vms_term_sock yet...

> And (in all seriousness) does anybody still need __VAXC?

Well, the build scripts in the 1.0.2 branch still support VAX C (best effort, mind you, and quite frankly, *my* effort has been zero), and will stay there.  From 1.1.0 and on, however, VAX C and GNU C support have been ripped out and only DEC C remains.  In fact, there is no VAX support at all.

> Even as
> early as OpenVMS VAX V5.5-2, DEC C is available if you load the
> AACRT060 patch kit, or the stock CRTL on later releases.   And I'm not
> so sure that the VAXCRTL would even work here given the subset of
> routines available back then, and given the VAX C compiler is known to
> mis-compile the published MD5 code and undoubtedly has other issues.
> I'd want to test the code that far back, and would certainly expect to
> encounter either compiler or run-time problems, or both.

I'm sure...  It would be interesting to try building the latest 1.0.2 on VAX and see how it flies.  Alas, I haven't had a VAX for a long time...

Cheers,
Richard