[Info-vax] "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri Sep 16 11:11:46 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-16 14:56:24 +0000, Craig A. Berry said:

> Also at first glance, it's only including iosbdef.h on Alpha, and
> otherwise rolling its own _iosb struct. Surely that should be #ifndef
> _VAX rather than #ifdef __alpha?

Yeah; that #ifdef __alpha sends Itanium down the wrong path.  It'll
very likely work (which is why nobody noticed?), but OpenVMS I64 does
provide the iosbdef.h include file, as undoubtedly will future
platforms.

And (in all seriousness) does anybody still need __VAXC?   Even as
early as OpenVMS VAX V5.5-2, DEC C is available if you load the
AACRT060 patch kit, or the stock CRTL on later releases.   And I'm not
so sure that the VAXCRTL would even work here given the subset of
routines available back then, and given the VAX C compiler is known to
mis-compile the published MD5 code and undoubtedly has other issues.
I'd want to test the code that far back, and would certainly expect to
encounter either compiler or run-time problems, or both.