[Info-vax] Updated HPE/VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L1 Marketing Brochures

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 08:38:03 EDT 2016

layered
> products are supported.
>
> That is going to be an interesting challenge for HPE in the
future.

HPE is clearly getting back to its roots as a server and
supporting infrastructure company. Some analysts have stated they
want to be seen as a neutral company that can play and integrate
with all of the other vendors platforms.

Over time, I expect HPE to transition to support of OpenVMS in a
manner similar to the way they support Linux (now moving towards
SuSE which is interesting) and Windows i.e. as a means to sell
server and supporting infrastructure.  Hence, other than the
occasional brochures like those in this thread, I would not
expect HPE to market OpenVMS any more than they market other
platforms. As an example, in their future ProLiant brochures and
tech documents, they would have "the ProLiant XYZ supports
Microsoft Windows Server 2012, Red Hat Linux, SuSE Linux and VSI
OpenVMS V9."

That in itself will be a major milestone.

Having their own server OS solutions would not be in alignment
with being a neutral server and supporting infrastructure
company. Especially when OpenVMS sales on X86-64 begin to pick
up.

It's also why I expect NonStop will be spun off in the next 24
months - most likely in a manner similar to how OpenVMS was
successfully spun-off. HP-UX will likely not be spun off for a
long time (after 2025 perhaps?) as there is an interesting
fascination internally at HP with HP-UX.  Also, given HPE is
pushing its HP-UX Customers to Linux, I am not sure if any third
party Company would take on the future support of HP-UX (unless
HPE gave them a truck full of $'s).

Interesting times ..