[Info-vax] Updated HPE/VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L1 Marketing Brochures

IanD iloveopenvms at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 08:51:47 EDT 2016

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 5:11:52 PM UTC+10, Dirk Munk wrote:
> Kerry Main wrote:
> > Fyi .. updated OpenVMS V8.4-2L1 brochures on the HPE web site
> >
> > VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L1 Operating Environments:
> > http://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA6-4476ENW.pdf
> >
> > Exceed Business Expectations: VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L1
> > https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA6-5039E
> > NW
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Kerry Main
> > Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com
> >

> Have you noticed that the first brochure points to HP branded layered
> products?
>
> Since this is a VSI version of OpenVMS, only VSI branded layered
> products are supported.
>
> That is going to be an interesting challenge for HPE in the future.

It's already getting messy and it will annoy customers having to be across this

I would also assume that VSI are hoping that those customers out there that are sitting on the fence with HP(e) installs will suddenly up-root and move across to VSI since it looks like HPE are probably not going to drag forward their offerings other than for perhaps security based items?

I know of one place that is going VSI purely to get onto those nice i4's so there are customers already moving, although I suspect the numbers are small (but I don't actually know)

In time, HPE will be the second class citizen. How quickly that happens I think will be a function of how fast VSI can deliver items that matter to customers and how viable those customers platforms are in their strategic business going forward. If they are just turn-key systems sitting in a corner earmarked for eventual death, then I suspect they will remain in the HPE side of the fence for a very long time unless VSI give some dam good incentives for moving off a zero cost or probably close to zero cost environment