[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Sun Sep 18 06:32:39 EDT 2016

David Froble wrote:
> Dirk Munk wrote:
>> Paul Sture wrote:

>>> I'd certainly miss one or two things that DECnet does:
>>>
>>> o - the ability to do a SET HOST 0 /LOG= to get a log / audit trail
>>> of software
>>>     installations and configuration sessions.   Yes, many terminal
>>> emulators can
>>>     do logging, but those logs aren't on the target system.
>>>
>>> o - using DECnet as a means of placing BACKUP savesets on another
>>> node, and
>>>     restoring them from other nodes (where 'other' can be either
>>> local or
>>>     remote).
>>>
>>> o - DECnet tasks.  Useful but I haven't seen many customers use these.
>>>
>>> o - FAL
>>>

>> First of all, which DECnet do you mean?  DECnet Phase IV should have
>> been abandoned years ago, DECnet Phase V has been the successor for
>> years now, but many DECnet users are just to plain lazy to learn how
>> it works. They took a look at the UI, concluded that is was very
>> different from the NCP commands of Phase IV, and just gave up. Or are
>> they too stupid to understand it?
>
> I use IV, which suits my purposes.  Sorry you don't approve.  Actually,
> I don't give a damn what you think.  If you're going to take the
> attitude that it's your way or the highway, well, good luck, you''ll
> need it, but I don't think you'll have it.  People are allowed to have
> differing opinions.  Even stupid people like me.
>
>> Has no one ever noticed the analogy between Windows and VMS in this
>> respect? Windows uses Netbios over IP the same way VMS can use DECnet
>> Phase V over IP. Or have you ever heard of Microsoft abandoning
>> Netbios in favour of plane IP stuff like FTP etc. ?
>>
>> Besides DECnet we also have cluster traffic. It is also insecure. So
>> let's just abandon VMS clusters as well???
>>
>> DECnet and cluster traffic can both use IP for transport. How to make
>> that traffic very secure? It is so simple, use IPsec! But when I
>> proposed that in this forum, it was made very clear that I'm an idiot
>> to propose the only way to encrypt IP traffic that has an real
>> architectural idea behind it, instead of the many hobby solutions like
>> SSL, SSH etc.
>>
>> But again, you must make an afford to implement IPsec, and we don't
>> want to do that. Quick and dirty solutions that are prone to lots of
>> maintenance on the application level are much and much better.
>> Thinking in layers, whereby encryption is part of the network and has
>> nothing to do with applications, idiotic.
>>
>> So yes, you can use all the nice features DECnet has to offer, but no
>> one cares to deal with these days. And you can use it in a safe way as
>> well. Oh yeah, and remember, DECnet is deeply embedded in VMS, VMS was
>> build around the idea of networking with DECnet. You do remember how
>> full VMS file specifications looks?
>>
>> node::disk:{directory}file.extension.version
>
> Yes, my thoughts also ....
>
>> It start with node::

> [...]

Thanks David.

My ideas about Phase IV are not just opinions. Phase IV is a dead end,
it won't be long before you can't buy routers for Phase IV. You can't
make Phase IV traffic secure, you can't use it in a IP-only network
environment, you can't use it over the internet. Those are facts, not
opinions.

I will go further then that. By sticking to DECnet Phase IV, you will
affectively kill DECnet. If DECnet is nothing else then an IP port for
your network people, then who cares. If it is a completely different
network environment, it will be all the more reason to kick DECnet and
even VMS out.

Does this make sense to you?

I'm sure DECnet Phase IV suits your purpose, but the nice thing with
DECnet is nothing changes on the application level when you go from
Phase IV to Phase V. Now look at IP, go from IPv4 to IPv6. You have to
rebuild your application, put two networks stacks in for as long you're
using dual stack.

So in your case:
- Go from DECnet Phase IV to DECnet Phase V: you don't have to change
anything in your application.
- Go from OSI transport to IPv4 transport: you don't have to change
anything in your application.
- Go from IPv4 transport to IPv6 transport: you don't have to change
anything in your application.
- Go from insecure to encrypted networking with IPsec: you don't have to
change anything in your application.