[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 07:21:58 EDT 2016

On Sunday, 18 September 2016 11:32:44 UTC+1, Dirk Munk  wrote:
> David Froble wrote:
> > Dirk Munk wrote:

> >> First of all, which DECnet do you mean?  DECnet Phase IV should have
> >> been abandoned years ago, DECnet Phase V has been the successor for
> >> years now, but many DECnet users are just to plain lazy to learn how
> >> it works. They took a look at the UI, concluded that is was very
> >> different from the NCP commands of Phase IV, and just gave up. Or are
> >> they too stupid to understand it?
> >
> > I use IV, which suits my purposes.  Sorry you don't approve.  Actually,
> > I don't give a damn what you think.  If you're going to take the
> > attitude that it's your way or the highway, well, good luck, you''ll
> > need it, but I don't think you'll have it.  People are allowed to have
> > differing opinions.  Even stupid people like me.
> >
> >> Has no one ever noticed the analogy between Windows and VMS in this
> >> respect? Windows uses Netbios over IP the same way VMS can use DECnet
> >> Phase V over IP. Or have you ever heard of Microsoft abandoning
> >> Netbios in favour of plane IP stuff like FTP etc. ?
> >>
> >> Besides DECnet we also have cluster traffic. It is also insecure. So
> >> let's just abandon VMS clusters as well???
> >>
> >> DECnet and cluster traffic can both use IP for transport. How to make
> >> that traffic very secure? It is so simple, use IPsec! But when I
> >> proposed that in this forum, it was made very clear that I'm an idiot
> >> to propose the only way to encrypt IP traffic that has an real
> >> architectural idea behind it, instead of the many hobby solutions like
> >> SSL, SSH etc.
> >>
> >> But again, you must make an afford to implement IPsec, and we don't
> >> want to do that. Quick and dirty solutions that are prone to lots of
> >> maintenance on the application level are much and much better.
> >> Thinking in layers, whereby encryption is part of the network and has
> >> nothing to do with applications, idiotic.
> >>
> >> So yes, you can use all the nice features DECnet has to offer, but no
> >> one cares to deal with these days. And you can use it in a safe way as
> >> well. Oh yeah, and remember, DECnet is deeply embedded in VMS, VMS was
> >> build around the idea of networking with DECnet. You do remember how
> >> full VMS file specifications looks?
> >>
> >> node::disk:{directory}file.extension.version
> >
> > Yes, my thoughts also ....
> >
> >> It start with node::
> >>
> >> Try that with plain IP.
> >>
> >> Some one recently wrote a article about the status of IPv6, and about
> >> the status of RFC's . It was shocking to read what an enormous mess it
> >> is. That is the problem with IP, it is one enormous out of hand hobby
> >> project with lots of overlapping poorly defined 'standards' that are
> >> really no standards at all (!!).  It is exactly what we should not
> >> have in times that well structured security and dependable network
> >> communication is of the utmost importance.
> >
> > In general I agree with what you've written.  I consider DECnet as a
> > part of VMS, and if one really doesn't want VMS, then just go and use
> [...]

I'm convinced, but then I learned DECnet IV (protocols and
applications), OSI (protocols and applications), and IP4
(protocols and applications) and IP6 (vision - the rest
was still years away) all in the same few years in the
late 1980s (and not just on VMS either).

Afaict, the thing that did for DECnet/OSI (Phase V, etc)
was the learning curve of its unified management interface.
Its immediate OSI/VMS predecessor, VOTS/OSAK/etc, was
understandable to near-normal human beings. DECnet/OSI
suffered from "Swiss penknife syndrome".

IPv6 is still barely more than a vision for most folk. It
may be supplied and enabled with every modern Window box
and many/most Linux boxes, but how many people actually
know they've got it, let alone actually use it?

Do I want DECnet to hang around? I don't think the question
is properly formed: do we mean protocols on the wire,
applications that people use, or what? Though I suspect
the answer might still be "no" to both questions for many
people.

I see OMNI and OSAP are still on the latest VSI roadmap
(a pair of related products which started life as ways
to talk in a formally standardised vendor-independent
way to shop floor machines and other stuff too). Built
originally on OSI networking. I would be interested to
know if they still require an underlying OSI network,
or whether minnows like Siemens, GE, etc (and their
customers) have accepted that IP-only networks are the
future for manufacturing networks for everyone,
everywhere.