[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net_work
Mon Sep 19 18:18:48 EDT 2016

On 9/19/2016 10:28 AM, Michael Moroney wrote:
> I am following this thread with interest because I put
> a bunch of effort getting DECnet V/DECnet Plus to build
> at VSI, what we got from HP was a bit of a mess.  Since
> then I wondered, how many customers actually use DECnet V
> (or DECnet IV), and for what.
>
> Of course the VMS builtin where you could access any
> file on your DECnet with almost any software just by
> using the file spec node::dev:[dir.sub]file.ext is
> really great, and is missed on TCP/IP.

I use DECNET-IV and have used DECNET-PLUS for copying files between VMS
systems on a local network.

I also set up network objects to do privileged operations.  One of those
more useful tools is one that replicates password hashes on my local LAN
to keep all the VMS passwords in sync.

I also use the TELL.COM utility along with DECNET to use one VMS system
as a CMS repository to centrally manage all the VMS systems in the
network.  SYSMAN requires a password for non-clustered nodes.

I stopped using DECNET-PLUS mainly because I had problems getting it to
work on new installations on an Alpha emulator, and it is much simpler
to just use DECNET-IV for a simple LAN.

This all currently only hobbyist use.

Regards,
-John