[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

BlackCat john.dite at compinia.de
Tue Sep 20 04:07:42 EDT 2016

On 19.09.2016 17:28, Michael Moroney wrote:
> I am following this thread with interest because I put
> a bunch of effort getting DECnet V/DECnet Plus to build
> at VSI, what we got from HP was a bit of a mess.  Since
> then I wondered, how many customers actually use DECnet V
> (or DECnet IV), and for what.

Michael,
if you are taking requests?

One of the most basic things that should have been done yonks(= a long time) ago was 'oping', yes ping at the Network Layer (ISO8473).
ISO8473 and ISO9542 are the protocols that a DECnet Phase V End System would use when communicating with other DECnet PhaseV systems.
This ping Echo function  'oping'  was already present in the first versions of DECnet/OSI  for OSF/1 (1993?) .
Basically as in TCP/IP, it is a Echo Request/Response function implemented at the network layer.
Now DECnet+ and its OpenVMS predecessors only ever implemented the response function, ie. you can ping an OpenVMS DECnet+ from a
system that had implemented the Client function such as a Tru64 system with DECnet+, but you can never initate an 'oping' on an
OpenVMS DECnet+ system. :-((
It was always a mystery to me of how many variances existed between the implentations of DECnet+ on Tru64 and DECnet+ on OpenVMS.?*!
Hopefully HP will let you have access to the Tru64 'oping' Client code.