[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Wed Sep 21 07:07:45 EDT 2016

David Froble wrote:
> Dirk Munk wrote:
>> Richard Levitte wrote:

>>> I'm curious, exactly what is it that you require?  Is it something
>>> that must exist at the IP level?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Richard
>>>

>> I explained that in in the first posting of this thread.
>>
>> In short, you will have global IPv6 addresses on you home LAN.
>
> This concept is a bit like ethernet, where every ethernet device
> manufactured had a unique 12 character address.  However, I don't know
> if this was administered by some RFC, or by the group of cooperating
> companies that originally set up the concept.

In principle it is no different from IPv4. However the 32 bit IPv4
address range is far to small to give every IP device its own global
IPv4 address. That is why we use private IPv4 addresses on our home
LANs, and use NAT to access the internet. With the 128 bit IPv6
addresses we don't need NAT any more, every device has its own global
IPv6 address.

>> These addresses with accompanying DNS names have to be registered on a
>> public DNS server, i.e. the DNS server of your ISP.
>
> Perhaps not all ISPs have a DNS service.

Yes, they *must* have a DNS server. The ISP is distributing public IP
addresses, and then it must have a public DNS server to register the IP
addresses and DNS names.

>> There has to be a secure and automatic mechanism on your router that
>> will take care of this.
>
> Nor do I understand why a router has anything to do with this?  I guess
> it could.

A CE router is not 'just' a router. It has far more functionality, it is
the device that connects your home network with the internet, and it
must also provide DNS services.

>> Your ISP has to provide you with a (sub)domain where you can store
>> your entries.
>
> Again, you seem to be saying this is the job of the ISP.  I'm not sure
> that is correct.

Yes it is. The IPv6 addresses are registered to the ISP, the ISP has the
authoritative DNS name server for that address range. Their name server
is the only one that can do reversed name lookup.

>> That is the only way you can access devices on you home LAN by a DNS
>> name, like nas.levitte.org .
>>
>> I notice that you have your own domain, but I assume you don't have
>> your own public DNS server. You will use the DNS server of some ISP or
>> so. I also have a domain, but it is registered at Hurricane Electric.
>
> That's a bit different than what you've been writing.

No, it isn't. The IPv4 address of my router belongs to the address range
of my ISP. I have an *alias* for that address registered at Hurricane,
so a reversed name lookup will never point to that name.

I also have an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane, so my IPv6 addresses are
owned by Hurricane. A reversed name lookup will result in the DNS name I
have registered at Hurricane.

> Yes, some DNS
> service could translate a name into an IP address.  But, perhaps it's
> not the job of your ISP.
>
>> So levitte.org should be registered at the nameserver of your ISP,
>> otherwise reversed name lookup is impossible.
>
> So, I'm not sure that some official RFP is required.  Perhaps all that
> is required is that your local IP addresses are not masked by ISPs and
> such.  I think you, or someone, has referred to this as carrier grade
> NAT, or some such.

Carrier grade NAT is for IPv4. The whole idea behind IPv6 is that we
don't use NAT any more, and that every device has its own unique global
IPv6 address.