[Info-vax] Problem with sem_open() call

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Sep 21 13:01:35 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-21 10:04:16 +0000, Alexander Saprykin said:

> Sorry for a delay, I have been preparing a clean OpenVMS install. I'm
> using FreeAXP emulator with a Hobbyist PAK. So the system is OpenVMS
> 8.4 from the HP's FTP, CC 7.3. I'm a novice with OpenVMS and I do not
> have a reach experience with it. I'm trying to port my personal project
> (system library). If you need any information (sorry, I do not
> understand what do you need with "local definitions of the DECC*
> logical name morass"), please write down a command I need to execute to
> post output here.
>
> I have prepared several small programs to reproduce the behaviour.

I suspect you've found a bug in the OpenVMS V8.4 implementation of the
sem_open call.

This tested with the following configuration:

$ cc/vers
HP C V7.3-010 on OpenVMS Alpha V8.4

running on Alpha hardware, and with VMS84A_UPDATE V10.0 and most of the
rest of the "recent" patches loaded.   (I've not gone looking for any
particular patches that might address this.)

As for the "morass": DEC/Compaq/HP/HPE C has more than a score of
compatibility settings controlled by out-of-sight and out-of-band
DECC$* logical names, and these settings can and do change run-time
behaviors.  http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1513   That written and
given the C code shown here, I don't expect that this particular
"morass" of settings is involved in this case.    This looks like a
straight up bug in the library.