[Info-vax] Problem with sem_open() call

Alexander Saprykin xelfium at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:20:51 EDT 2016

среда, 21 сентября 2016 г., 20:01:37 UTC+3 пользователь Stephen Hoffman написал:
> On 2016-09-21 10:04:16 +0000, Alexander Saprykin said:
>
> > Sorry for a delay, I have been preparing a clean OpenVMS install. I'm
> > using FreeAXP emulator with a Hobbyist PAK. So the system is OpenVMS
> > 8.4 from the HP's FTP, CC 7.3. I'm a novice with OpenVMS and I do not
> > have a reach experience with it. I'm trying to port my personal project
> > (system library). If you need any information (sorry, I do not
> > understand what do you need with "local definitions of the DECC*
> > logical name morass"), please write down a command I need to execute to
> > post output here.
> >
> > I have prepared several small programs to reproduce the behaviour.
>
> I suspect you've found a bug in the OpenVMS V8.4 implementation of the
> sem_open call.
>
> This tested with the following configuration:
>
> $ cc/vers
> HP C V7.3-010 on OpenVMS Alpha V8.4
>
> running on Alpha hardware, and with VMS84A_UPDATE V10.0 and most of the
> rest of the "recent" patches loaded.   (I've not gone looking for any
> particular patches that might address this.)
>
> As for the "morass": DEC/Compaq/HP/HPE C has more than a score of
> compatibility settings controlled by out-of-sight and out-of-band
> DECC$* logical names, and these settings can and do change run-time
> behaviors.  http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1513   That written and
> given the C code shown here, I don't expect that this particular
> "morass" of settings is involved in this case.    This looks like a
> straight up bug in the library.
>

> --
> Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Are here in the group any developers from the VMS Software to check it in the VMS source? I don't know whom to contact to clarify this issue. I still unsure if it is a bug or not, maybe underlying (I guess) Distributed Lock Manager need to be configured or something else.

I mean it is a primary use case of the POSIX named semaphores, I do not believe they released a new API without testing it. If it is a bug, it can affect lot of other software which can be potentially ported on OpenVMS.

Best Regards,
Alexander Saprykin